- You are here:
- Transfer Station & Solid Waste
- Construction & Demolition (C&D)/ABC Debris Policy
Construction and Demolition (C&D) and Asphalt-Brick-Concrete (ABC) Debris Policy
Hedly Street Transfer Station C&D and ABC Policy
C&D and ABC are not allowed in the compactor pits and must be free of debris and litter!
C&D and ABC collection is for residents' personal household projects only. Annual Transfer Station sticker holders receive four C&D and/or ABC passes provided by the Tax Collector’s Office on an as-needed basis. A C&D/ABC pass is good for one load of C&D/ABC (must be disposed of in appropriate bin). Each load must be in a container and volume may not exceed 32 gallons. Weekly Transfer Station sticker holders must purchase passes for any C&D or ABC loads.
Each additional load up to and including 32 gallons of C&D or ABC may be disposed of in the respective bin for a $50 fee per load by purchasing additional pass(es). Residents may purchase additional passes at the Tax Collector’s Office in Town Hall located at 2200 East Main Road, open Monday through Wednesday (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), Thursday (8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.), and Friday (8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.). Please provide your pass(es) to the check-in agent when you arrive at the Transfer Station to dispose of your C&D or ABC. The Town of Portsmouth is not responsible for lost passes.
C&D is limited to:
- Wood (including painted, treated and coated wood and wood products)
- Wall coverings
- Sheetrock/wallboard/drywall (less than 5% in a load, by volume)
- Plumbing fixtures
- Non-asbestos insulation
- Roofing shingles and other roofing coverings
- Electrical wiring and components (containing no hazardous waste), and,
- Pipe and metals that are incidental to any of the items listed above.
If possible, please strip C&D products of metal and place metal in “Scrap Metal” bin.
C&D loads absolutely cannot contain items regulated as hazardous waste such as: · asbestos · electrical fixtures containing hazardous liquids such as fluorescent light ballasts or transformers for fluorescent lights · 55-gallon drums · fuel tanks · solvents · non-latex paints/paint cans · any container with more than 1 inch of residue remaining on the bottom.
ABC is limited to: · asphalt · brick · concrete · ceramics (e.g., tile) · clay pots · pottery · rock.
Facts & Tips:
- C&D debris may NOT be dumped in the compactor pits.
- Loads may NOT contain any hazardous materials including:
- Box springs or mattresses
- Propane tanks
- Other hazardous or recyclable materials
- Non-C&D debris must be separated from the C&D and placed in the appropriate bin or pit.